Category Archives: 2015

SYTECH Assisted Case – “‘Truly Evil’ Couple Jailed For ‘Sick’ Murder”

SYTECH received instructions from Dorset Police whom requested the Mobile Phone Forensic examinations and analysis of multiple Mobile Phone Handsets not supported for analysis via conventional forensic means and were all attributed to the below referenced murder investigation.

A “truly evil” couple who stabbed a man to death and recorded the “protracted and brutal” attack on a mobile phone have been jailed for life.

Phillip Nicholson, 22, was lured to a flat in Bournemouth where he was set upon by his ex-girlfriend, Isabella Gossling, and her new partner Richard Moors.

Gossling, 20, was found guilty of murder following a trial at Winchester Crown Court. She has been sentenced on Monday to a minimum of 19 years in jail.

Her boyfriend Richard Moors, 25, pleaded guilty to murder in a previous hearing at Portsmouth Crown Court in October.

He was sentenced on Monday to at least 22 years in jail.

Mr Nicholson, who had learning difficulties, was found dead in Gossling’s flat in the Boscombe area of the town on 26 May. He died from a stab wound to the neck.

He was enticed to her home on the pretence of meeting another girl who the couple were friends with, Winchester Crown Court heard.

But the meet-up was a lie made up by Gossling and Moors.

Once Mr Nicholson was at the flat, they stabbed him and recorded the attack on her phone, Dorset Police said.

In the audio recording, Gossling can be heard demanding an apology from Mr Nicholson for sexually assaulting her and encouraging Moors to kill him.

Police said the sex allegation was never substantiated nor reported and they believe it was unfounded.

The phone recording also captured the couple discussing how to leave Mr Nicholson’s body in a way to make it look like he stabbed himself.

The knife used to kill Mr Nicholson was found in a sink at the flat.

The court heard the couple had previously bullied and threatened their vicitm.

Detective Chief Inspector Stewart Balmer, from Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team, said: “Isabella Gossling and Richard Moors are truly evil.

“They targeted Phillip Nicholson because he was vulnerable and they could exert power over him.

“They subjected Phillip to a brutal and protracted attack.

“This is one of the most harrowing cases I have dealt with in 30 years’ service.”

He added: “The fact they chose to audio record this violent and sick act on her mobile phone is beyond belief.”

Mr Nicholson’s family said in a statement: “We are totally devastated by the way that Phillip was cruelly tormented, tortured and murdered.

“Our son was kind, caring and helpful to all and did not deserve this callous death.

“Phillip’s death will always leave a huge dent in our hearts and those of family and friends that knew him.”

 

Source:  Sky News

Detailed View of a Memory Chip

SYTECH Case – Moto Android Chip-Off Examination – Murder Investigation

SYTECH Case – Moto Android Chip-Off Examination – Murder Investigation

Andrew Munro was charged with the murder of his wife and attempted murder of another close relative for which he denied both charges.

Claire Munro, mother of three, was found dead in her home with serious injuries.

SYTECH received instructions from Cheshire Police whom requested forensic examination and analysis of Motorola Moto Android based Mobile Phone Handsets not supported for analysis via conventional forensic means and were attributed to an on-going murder investigation.

At SYTECH the aim of the examination was the extraction, validation and presentation of all user based data and in particular whether there were any malicious applications installed or software capable of remotely tracking and controlling the handset.

The only way to gain access to the data held within the handsets was by that of “chip-off” examinations.

This involves the removing of the Flash Memory chip from the handsets printed circuit board (PCB).

This is where any potential data will be stored within the handset.

Data relating to the Investigation was recovered from the memory, this showed the potential to track and control a mobile phone handset remotely.

 

At trial Mr Munro changed his plea to guilty in relation to the murder and he also pleaded guilty to S18 wounding as an alternative to the attempted murder of another.

 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/andrew-munro-denies-murdering-wife-8750194

 

Cell-Site Analysis

SYTECH Assisted Case – Cell-Site Analysis – “Gang jailed after Penkridge mother’s knifepoint burglary ordeal”

SYTECH – Cell-Site Analysis in action.

Burglary, four men attacked a woman in her own home whilst her husband was away in May 2013. She was sleeping in her own bedroom at the time the men attacked her. They held a knife to her neck requesting they have access to the family safe and any other possessions they have.

Week commencing 11th February 2015 Scott Ball, one of the four gang members, received 3 years for conspiracy to commit burglary.

SYTECH – Cell-Site Analysis helped to locate the direction of movement of Scott Ball during the periods of interest, linking him to the burglary that took place May 2013.

 

Gang jailed after Penkridge mother’s knifepoint burglary ordeal

http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.uk/Gang-jailed-Penkridge-mother-s-knifepoint/story-26008878-detail/story.html

 

A MOTHER has spoken of her terrifying knifepoint ordeal after burglars broke into her home.

The woman, then 44, was tied up and had a knife held to her neck as four men ransacked her Stafford Road, Penkridge home.

Her elder son, who was 15 at the time, fought with gang members who were also armed with a cosh and he struck one several times. The teenager escaped injury but his younger brother, then aged 12, was hit in the face and knocked to the floor, causing bruising.

This week five people were starting jail terms totalling 37 years for their part in the raid, which happened while the woman’s husband was away in May 2013.

She said: “It’s been a very hard 18 months but now we feel justice has been done.”

Her ordeal began just after midnight when she was in bed.

The mother told the Newsletter: “They came upstairs and into my bedroom with knives. There were four of them and they had a knife to my neck and tied me up.

“They were asking if we had a safe and what possessions we had. They were ransacking everything,” she said.

The gang forced the woman to open a safe and stole cash and jewellery.

“I was terrified, wondering whether my children were alive because my sons were in the house,” she said. “The raiders left but then came across my sons – they attacked my boys.

“I was just terrified. You just do what they want because I didn’t know if my children were alive. They’re very brave bless them.”

The offenders escaped in a vehicle driven by a female accomplice.

The five were later arrested and appeared at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court on Friday.

Leon Gordon, 33, formerly of Heathfield Lane, Darlaston, Matthew Bristow, 28, formerly of Heathfield Lane, Darlaston, and Marcus Davies, 35, of St James Road, Leicester, received 11 years each having been found guilty of conspiracy to commit burglary and robbery.

Scott Ball, 41, of Norton Green Lane, Norton Canes, received three years for conspiracy to commit burglary.

Christie Phillips, 20, formerly of Heathfield Lane, Darlaston, was convicted of conspiracy to commit burglary and jailed for one year.

DCI Paul Bentley, of Staffordshire Police, said: “This was a terrifying ordeal for a mother and her two sons, and it has had a lasting impact on them. Their bravery in giving evidence in court is to be applauded and I hope it encourages other victims of crime to come forward and speak out.”

The mother added: “They do these things for gain and they don’t realise the devastation they have left behind them, how they ruin people’s lives.”

Detailed View of a Memory Chip

SYTECH Assisted Case – Password Protected BlackBerry Chip-Off – “31-member drug gang that controlled illegal supplies across the north east are jailed following three-year investigation”

OCG (Organised Crime Group) Investigation

James Kelly and Paul Gill were 2 of the a 31 member drug gang. Police Operation Cobweb saw that all 31 members of the OCG “drug gang” were jailed in total to 231 years.

The Court case for Operation Cobweb started in 2012 and finished in 2015. Kelly is now currently serving a 10 year sentence and Gill serving a four year sentence.

SYTECH were asked to carry out an advanced digital forensic examination of a PIN / Password Locked BlackBerry Mobile Phone Handset which is attributed to this on-going investigation.

 

“31-member drug gang that controlled illegal supplies across the north east are jailed following three-year investigation”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2919511/Final-two-defendants-31-member-drug-gang-controlled-illegal-supplies-north-east-jailed-following-three-year-investigation.html

The final two defendants of a 31-member drug gang that supplied class A drugs across the north east have been jailed following one of the biggest drug operations ever.

Craig Ferguson, 38, and Dawn Gorman, 43, were jailed at Teesside Crown Court for their part in the cross-country drug dealing network.

They were the final two members of the 31-strong gang to be sentenced, after a three-year police investigation – dubbed ‘Operation Cobweb’ – brought the drugs ring to an end.

The investigation, the biggest drugs operation ever to be run by Cleveland Police, has now seen a total of 31 people put behind bars for a total of 231 years.

The final defendants were linked to a conspiracy to deal Class A drugs on an industrial scale, which allowed its kingpins to lead the high life.

Ferguson was jailed for five years and three months at the court hearing on Monday after the judges heard how he collected drugs for a local dealer on four occasions from January 2012 to August 2012.

Judge Simon Bourne-Arton QC, the Recorder of Middlesbrough, said Ferguson transported large quantities of drugs from the north west to Teesside.

He said: ‘It was, as you know, a professional and skilled conspiracy.

‘You are towards the very bottom of this conspiracy.’

Also in the dock yesterday was Gorman, the wife of one of the conspiracy’s top bosses, who was jailed for 18 months.

The former air hostess’s husband Jeffrey Hanks, 52, is currently serving a 22-year jail term – the longest sentence given to any of the conspirators.

The couple, from Bury, splashed out on motorbikes, holidays, private education, a lavishly-furnished home, Jimmy Choo shoes and a Porsche Cayenne, the court heard previously.

Gorman was not involved in the drugs plot itself, but a jury convicted her of money laundering.

She had denied offences of concealing and converting criminal property.

The judge said she knew her husband Hanks – branded ‘a thoroughly manipulative, dishonest individual’ – was a drug dealer.

He told her: ‘It beggars’ belief that you did not know what was going on.

‘You were happily spending money that was part of a considerable and sizeable drug conspiracy.

‘You were willingly and enthusiastically spending the money on what, on any view, could be deemed an extravagant lifestyle.

‘Without that money from the drug dealing, you could not have in any way dreamt of leading such a life.’

He said the amount of money involved was ‘well in excess of £100,000’.

Barristers for the pair, who had few previous convictions, asked the judge to consider passing suspended sentences.

They stressed the ‘devastating’ impact of a prison term on the defendants’ children.

The judge told Gorman that she and her husband bore the responsibility for their children’s suffering, as they carried on their criminal activity knowing the possible consequences if they got caught.

‘You did it essentially because you were driven by greed,’ the judge added.

Duncan McReddie, defending Ferguson, said he had responsibility for seven children and he was a good and caring father who had tried to lead a productive, law-abiding life since his arrest.

He said Ferguson got involved out of a desire to help his cousin, fellow runner David Cuthbert.

Cuthbert, 38, was jailed for five years in May last year, along with 22 other members of the gang who were locked up for a total 177 years.

David Toal, representing Gorman, said she might have ‘turned a blind eye’ to the money and played a lesser role.

He said her health had also been affected and she stood to lose her home and possessions.

It has taken almost three years for the catalogue of court cases linked to Operation Cobweb to reach their conclusion.

They began with two cases in 2012 – one following a high-speed police chase where 2kg of heroin worth £90,000 was hurled from a moving car.

They finished with jail terms given yesterday to Ferguson and Gorman, who enjoyed the fruits of the network which flooded Teesside with Class A drugs.

In between, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton QC jailed 22 people – from couriers to warehousemen, right-hand men, lieutenants and ringleaders – to a total of 177 years in May last year.

He said of the drugs conspiracy: ‘It was carried out in a determined and ruthless fashion. It was conceived and put into effect by professional and experienced criminals who were aiming to achieve a high financial reward.’

The second-longest sentence of 16 years was given to Robert Hickman, 29 – the leader of the Teesside operation.

He unsuccessfully appealed his prison term, and arranged for drugs to be smuggled into prison, for which he received a concurrent six-year sentence.

Then in December, one of the gang’s north west ‘controllers in chief’ Jeffrey Hanks was jailed for 22 years.

Operation Cobweb was Cleveland Police’s largest-ever drugs investigation and has now put 31 people behind bars for a total of 231 years.

The three-year investigation smashed a well-organised drugs ring, which was driven by dedicated criminals trafficking heroin, cocaine and crack cocaine using ‘dirty phones’.

The drugs were transported from the Greater Manchester area to Teesside regularly, with payment in tens of thousands of pounds heading the other way.

More than 100 trips were made between Teesside and Manchester transporting vast amounts of drugs and ‘dirty money’.

Officers seized almost 6.9kg in heroin, 2.26kg of cocaine, 437.5g of crack cocaine and more than 22kg in cutting agents.

The recovered drugs were worth £824,686, and £127,966 cash was seized, but prosecutors said this was the ‘tip of the iceberg’.

Police and prosecutors pieced together evidence including telephone communications analysis, observations, drug and cash seizures, vehicle sightings and Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) camera data.

Detective Sergeant Colin Helyer, from Cleveland Police’s organised crime unit, said Operation Cobweb was a protracted and complex covert investigation and one of the unit’s largest-ever inquiries.

Speaking after the final two defendants were sentenced yesterday, Detective Constable John Findlay, who also works with Cleveland Police’s organised crime unit, said: ‘This has been one of Cleveland Police’s longest-running, most complex and involved investigations.

‘I would like to pay tribute to all our officers who have worked tirelessly over several years to bring these people before the courts.

‘I would also like to thank those members of the public who provided vital information to help our inquiries.

‘I would reiterate that police will always act on information on drug dealing and other crime which is provided to us.

‘You may not see anything happen immediately but rest assured, there will be a good deal of work going on in the background.

‘With assistance from our colleagues at Greater Manchester Police, we have succeeded in bringing to justice a large group of people who were involved in drug dealing across the North and North-east, and who were often profiting handsomely from their involvement.

‘Those jailed will have time to reflect on their actions, and the sentences should act as a deterrent to anyone tempted to deal illegal drugs.’

SYTECH Assisted Case – Digital Forensic Analysis Evidence in Action – Computers & Phones – R -v- Jubb

IT specialist who downloaded most disgusting and appalling child abuse images jailed for two years

Richard Jubb, 26, had been sharing images for 10 years before arrest

AN IT specialist who downloaded among “the most disgusting, appalling” images of child abuse ever seen by a judge has been jailed for two years.

Richard Jubb, 26, of Grand Avenue in Southbourne, admitted possessing more than 21,400 images of children that he shared over social network Twitter with some 200 followers.

The images were branded “some of the most graphic ever recovered” by police officers from Dorset Police’s Paedophile Online Investigation Team, and Judge Peter Johnson also spoke of his horror at their content during the sentencing at Bournemouth Crown Court.

The defendant had been sharing images of abuse online for around 10 years before his arrest.

Prosecutor Carolyn Branford-Wood said Jubb was arrested at a shared home in Broughton Avenue, Bournemouth, on July 29 this year after the National Crime Agency traced his IP address.

She said Jubb immediately confessed to his crimes, telling police that the images were on a hard-drive and adding that he had “stopped” downloading the photographs because they were “sickening” him.

During his first police interview, the defendant provided officers with passwords to a number of email addresses, and he later told them that he had begun to share the images at the age of just 16.

Ms Branford-Wood also gave details of an online conversation between Jubb and a Twitter user known only as ‘Vlad’, in which the defendant said that he enjoyed seeing images of babies and toddlers suffering abuse from men.

Jubb admitted a total of 15 counts, which included distributing indecent images of children, possessing indecent images and possessing extreme pornography.

Mitigating, Kevin Hill said Jubb himself suffered abuse as a three-year-old child, and is believed to be on the autistic spectrum.

“He comes to court in considerable distress,” Mr Hill added.

“[Before this case] he certainly had aspirations for the future and the potential to do very well.”

After taking a short break to view some of the images on Jubb’s hard-drive with Ms Branford-Wood and Mr Hill, a clearly shaken Judge Johnson returned to the court and said: “In my chambers just now, we viewed the most disgusting, appalling scenes of child abuse, and while you say you were eventually sickened, that did not stop you for a considerable period of time from not only obtaining material but also distributing it to others.”
He added: “You have pleaded guilty to 15 counts representing the most appalling abuse of children and babies.”

Jubb will also sign a Sexual Offences Prevention Order following his release from prison.

 

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11671672.IT_specialist_who_downloaded__most_disgusting_and_appalling__child_abuse_images_jailed_for_two_years/?action=complain&cid=13511593